Program or Project:
Prenatal Assessment and Education
Percentage of time over term member will spend with this program:
● The member will assess the patient’s knowledge base and need for education related to healthy pregnancy, preparation for birth and readiness for parenting. Member will provide and review existing patient educational materials on topics related to healthy pregnancy, with special attention given to patients with low literacy or language barriers to ensure understanding. Topics include health insurance, nutrition, smoking, alcohol, safety.
● On non-patient days, member will assist the Prenatal Care Coordinator in developing and implementing a prenatal nutrition class, as well as a breast feeding class.
● Member will assist the Mind/Body Counselor with developing and implementing a prenatal mind/body wellness class.
● Under guidance and support of the Prenatal Care Coordinator, member will develop and facilitate weekly education lessons for 2 prenatal appointment days. The topics include but are not limited to: nutrition, breast feeding, parenting, feeding, labor and delivery, importance of dental care, family planning/ birth control, budgeting, car seat safety, home safety, etc.
● Under guidance and support of the Prenatal Care Coordinator, member will create and organize educational materials that can be provided to patients during first visit (what to expect from pregnancy) and that can be provided right before delivery (what to expect Postpartum). Suggested topics include: safety, nutrition, newborn care, and breastfeeding.
See attached position description
NHC performance measure(s) this activity falls under (if any). :
Health Education: Prevention