NHC Position Type
According to our Community Health Needs Assessment, diabetes has been identified as a health issues in the communities that we serve. We would like to have an AmeriCorps member assist with the implementation of a diabetes healthy lifestyle program in the community of Englewood.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and/or facilitating classes with other professionals
- Coordinating health and wellness activities including classes and groups
- Attending and participating in community or host site events
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Implement strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- Maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations
- Individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Instills trust easily
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options.
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required. The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress. The Member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment. , The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors.
Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts. Health screening or service required, Criminal history check requirements beyond those required by National Health Corps. Diabetes educator certificate a plus, but not required.
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
State criminal background check, TB screening required (this will be conducted at no charge at site).