NHC Position Type
The Outreach Coordinator will focus on three programs. The first will be to engage the older adult population of Belmont-Cragin in health organizing efforts to ensure their ability to age in place, conduct benefits screening and enrollments, and develop workshops on older adult health issues. The second will be to assist in the coordination of the Common Ground Program by creating presentation, checking in with older adults, and conducting programmatic pre- and post-surveys. The third will be the creation and implementation of a culturally relevant nutritional health and wellness campaign for the Belmont Cragin neighborhood focusing specifically on running healthy cooking and nutrition and well-being classes for Latino older adults as well as parents, families, and high school students after school. This program called “Comprando Rico y Sano,” is funded through a grant from UnidosUS and the Walmart Foundation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services
- Recruiting participants, facilitating interventions and classes about health issue prevention and management and overall wellness
- Creating healthcare and wellness educational materials
- Facilitating and conducting healthcare and wellness trainings and classes
- Implementing and executing program using established protocols
- Conducting data collection, planning and preparing for classes
- Providing health counseling and coaching
- Keeping and organizing documentation and records
- Engaging in program planning
- Doing healthy cooking demonstrations
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Experience with public speaking
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Coordination and/or great project management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Progressively responsible education or experience in health and human services related field
- Proficient computer skills and data entry skills
- Passion for community outreach or helping others to improve their health a plus.
- Adaptable, flexible, able to serve in a changing environment
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements. Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options.
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required. The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems. Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service. Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects. Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services. , The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment. , The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed. Language proficiency.
Language Proficiency Requirements