NHC Position Type
The member will help formerly homeless clients with their everyday life skills that translate into their ability to remain in their new homes with the same or improved quality of life for as long as possible. Clients may suffer from substance use disorder or may have other concurring medical conditions. The member will provide case management to low risk clients that were previously homeless. These services include providing access to transportation, housing, SNAP benefits, Medicaid and other government benefits. The member will ensure they have access to a healthcare provider and any specialty healthcare services they may need including detox, 12 steps groups, mental health counseling, primary care physicians, obstetrics/gynecologists (OB/GYN), Ear Nose & Throat Specialists (ENT), etc. The member will provide COVID-19 Education and referrals to clients so they can staff safe during these times. The member will provide one on one health counseling to their clients on topics such as nutrition, mental health, addiction, and access to healthcare. The member will provide exercise classes and other opportunities to get these clients up and physically active. The member will create educational materials on wellness topics for the clients. The member will coordinate events for all clients to remain socially connected. The member will manage and train volunteers who come to Northeast Florida to perform community service projects. The member will be responsible for coordinating service projects at soup kitchens, food banks, health centers, and clothing distribution centers throughout the region.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing individualized, tailored care to a specific patient population
- Following up and assisting patients with social service and health care navigation
- Providing access to and awareness of resources for patients
- Coordinating with other programs to expand partnerships
- Building relationships with community experts and internal professionals
- Provide and introduce information on a healthier lifestyle
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
Most instructions are easily memorized and require little interpretation.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
Service position assignments involve a variety of conventional problems, questions, or situations that conform to established criteria. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Unusual physical demands involving climbing, lifting, stooping, and reaching, etc.
- Personal vehicle required