NHC Position Type
Spectrum Health Services is a Federally Qualified Health Center that provides integrated care services for patients facing the complexity of medical and social/economic issues that emerge across the life cycle.
The Patient Navigator will play an important role at Spectrum Health Services' Community Health Center clinic located in West Philadelphia and provide supplemental support to our Cottman Avenue Site. The member will serve as an intermediary between patients and their families and the larger Spectrum care team, fostering trusting relationships and connecting patients to the range of health and social services available to address their needs. The member will help patients navigate Spectrum and specialty health system resources, connect with community programs, sign up for benefits, assist with form-related questions and completion, and work with patients to adopt healthy behaviors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership
- Assisting in care coordination and resource referrals
- Creating social service resource guides and lists for clients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
Ability to foster a spirit of humility, listening, and unity in dealing with patients, and with team members
Good verbal and written communication skills
Organized; sound organizational skills
Demonstrated interest in Social work, health and wellness
Hands on assistance with getting patients connected to external specialty care and social resources to which they were referred
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but adaptations may be made in collaboration with the supervisor who will be available for discussion and clarification.
Member will work with their supervisor to develop tasks and activities, many of which have precedence but are open to flexibility and creativity.
- Health screening or service required: Pre-employment Drug tests (excluding marijuana)
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- PA PATCH