NHC Position Type
The Housing Services Coordinator will work with families and individuals who present to United Neighborhood Centers’ housing intake office in need of assistance related to housing concerns and other social determinants of health, such as food, clothing, shelter or other emergency needs. A needs assessment will be conducted to determine the appropriate services and/or community referrals. Services may include assistance with homelessness, eviction, apartment search, budgeting or accessing resources to other basic needs. The Housing Services Coordinator will provide case management, advocacy, information and referrals. Length of services may vary from a one-time office appointment to an extended length of case management for weeks or several months. Depending on need and the client’s resources, services will be provided as office appointments, home visits or telephone contacts and may include transportation to other community agencies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Housing Services Coordinator will:
- Coordinate with other staff to connect patients with resources
- Provide one-on-one instruction as well as group tutoring
- Help clients navigate the internet and with computer usage
- Provide intake and assessment for social determinants of health
- Navigate patients to other social services, registering patients in the case management system, providing access to and awareness of resources for patients
- Build relationships with community experts and internal professionals
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
The Housing Services Coordinator will be:
- Team-oriented, customer-oriented, patient and calm with a positive attitude
- Organized, multi tasker with an ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Creative problem solver, with a friendly, open-minded, non-judgmental approach to client outreach
- Able to build trust easily
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements and skills with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options.
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently. The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.