NHC Position Type
Macedonia FACE is a faith-based non-profit community outreach organization. We are committed to living out our mission by addressing disparities that impact African American families and other vulnerable populations within the community. Our Mission is to encourage the development of healthy families. We serve families with children from birth to 18 as well as individuals including senior citizens. This service position will primarily serve within our Adult Services program unit working with older persons as a Program Aide.
The Program Aide will assist with planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the programs offered by Macedonia FACE to include services to seniors and youth. The member will provide support to the Adult Services unit with outreach and education for several programs aimed at providing support to adults and, where applicable, youth in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. These programs include: Ryan White Case Management, Accelerated Support for Older Persons (ASOP), Senior Services (Senior Center and Meals on Wheels), Boys Council/Girls Circle, and Lifeline. The Program Aide will also perform record keeping duties and assist with events as needed and as availability permits. Events may be virtual or in person. This service position requires sensitivity, awareness and skills associated with working with individuals of all ages and backgrounds.
The primary tasks will be to assist with increasing awareness of adult services within the community and supporting programming. This will consist of:
Assisting with the set-up, facilitation, and management of outreach and engagement events for adults and seniors.
Engaging with consumers for virtual or in person activities as appropriate
Supporting social media efforts and direct mail initiatives
Helping to maintain appropriate records
Scanning and naming hard-copy documents into an electronic filing system
Selected applicants will be required to complete training for agency modalities and records management. In addition applicants will be expected to abide by strict confidentiality protocols. Interested applicants would preferably be available to assist with online events during some evenings and weekends. The service position will allow the Program Aide to learn evidenced based models, increase knowledge of human services and direct-service nonprofit functions. The Program Aide will have the opportunity to participate in community engagement activities such as in person and online events that promote public health, education and life skills enrichment.
Consequently this service position will require a member to know and comply with policies and procedures in accordance with Allegheny County Department of Human Services.
Programming includes, but is not limited to, educational, physical and leisure activities, organized sports, games, non-physical activities, music, or fine arts and crafts. In addition, virtual activities will be
implemented due to the COVID19 pandemic. The Program Aide will work with the team to incorporate community issues and concerns into the planning. The Program Aide may also assist with preparation for and/or help to conduct teen group or other workshops for the following programs offered by Macedonia FACE:
• Girls Circle
• HIV Prevention – Be Proud Be Responsible
• HIV 101
• Boys Council
Applicants will be expected to utilize training tools provided by FACE (DVDs, lap top, LCD projectors, handouts, virtual platforms, etc…) to present the information created to educate, empower and encourage healthy relationships. The service position will allow the Program Aide to learn evidenced based models, increase knowledge of Hill District context and gain experience working in small groups.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services
- Scheduling and coordinating intervention/class logistics
- Facilitating interventions and classes about health issue prevention and management and overall wellness
- Implementing and executing program using established protocols
- Planning and preparing for classes
- Keeping and organizing documentation and records
- Engaging in program planning
- Developing community relationships
- Coordinating with food access programs
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Coordination and/or great project management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills and data entry skills
- Passion for community outreach or helping others to improve their health a plus
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
COVID protocols to be adhered to
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Act 33 and Act 34 clearances, proof of COVID-19 vaccination, TB test and physical
In addition to NHC Standard Checks, all NHC Pittsburgh members are required to complete and pass criminal history checks for Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute/Diversified Care Management (DCM). Great Lakes/DCM is a third party vendor contracted with the Allegheny County Health Department (operating site for NHC Pittsburgh) to distribute NHC Pittsburgh member stipends. NHC Pittsburgh members are onboarded to Great Lakes/DCM system only when the checks have been completed and the member has passed those checks. Along with these checks, ALL NHC Pittsburgh Members Are Required to be Vaccinated against COVID-19.
The checks that all NHC Pittsburgh members would be required to complete and pass for Great Lakes/DCM are the following: 1) Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance), 2) National Sex Offender Registry Clearance, 3) Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance, and 4) Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance - ONLY completed via Identogo PA).
NHC members do not have to pay for the completion of these checks. Great Lakes/DCM will distribute payment codes for the Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance) and Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance which is conducted through Identogo PA ( PA FBI fingerprinting agency). The National Sex Offender Registry Clearance and Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance) will be completed by Great Lakes/DCM upon receiving requested information that members will be asked to submit.