NHC Position Type
The COVID19 pandemic has exacerbated already steep income disparities and will result in dramatically more people becoming eligible for public benefits. During the pandemic, emergency federal legislation has temporarily prevented Medicaid terminations and additionally provided for a temporary increase in SNAP (Food Stamp) benefits. When the public health emergency ends, we anticipate a large increase in Medicaid terminations and significant reduction in SNAP allotments. Consequently, requests for assistance with public benefits claims, denials, terminations, and other issues will likewise increase.
In addition, even though housing is vital to health, thousands of Delawareans are at risk of losing their homes when the CDC eviction moratorium expires in June. While leading a coalition working to establish a right to counsel for people facing eviction, CLASI and its partners are also working on a plan to immediately address the coming eviction crisis.
The member will work with all of CLASI’s units to help coordinate outreach and develop educational materials regarding these and other legal issues that low-income Delawareans face due to the pandemic.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing outreach to agencies to build awareness
- Obtaining feedback to improve on communication materials
- Providing outreach to stakeholders to identify issues
- Utilizing data to schedule education sessions
- Attending trainings and/or community events
- Maintaining educational materials in waiting/examination rooms
- Developing and distributing new materials geared towards patients, clients, and/or organizations
- Providing outreach in the community to promote services
- Developing new program materials to aid reach, scope, and effectiveness
- Networking with the community
- Doing educational presentations
- Coordinating with outside facilities, faith-based organizations, social services agencies, private medical practices, etc.
- Developing educational materials
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Good with patient populations
- Excellent communicator
- Good with diverse personalities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide training
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Ability to work in deadline-oriented environment
- Interest in health, social justice, and policy issues
- Commitment to social justice
- Community-organizing experience
- Works well with others
- Desires to empower community
- Social media experience
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Able to build relationships with experts
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
Knowledge Required for the Position
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Community Groups - The member will likely have contacts with all categories, except funders.
Purpose of Contacts
To give or exchange information
- Language proficiency
- Occasional weekend or evening events may be required
Language Proficiency Requirements
Hispanic proficiency preferred but not required.