NHC Position Type
Westside plans to deploy up to three National Health Corps members to serve as COVID-19 pandemic and influenza coordinators of care for our at-risk communities. These members will be vital to increasing the proportion of communities of color that receives the vaccine by doing outreach and education, with a focus on vaccine hesitancy. In addition, members will be responsible for coordination of COVID-19 vaccinations, especially at community events. This will require the members to call patients and community members. Members will provide education and complete assessments, be responsible for scheduling appointments, and organize and provide administrative support during community vaccination events.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- practicing intake and referrals of patients in need,
- identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services ,
- referring patients to other programs and community services , tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement ,
- providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information ,
- implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes ,
- maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality ,
- educating patients on medical interventions and prevention ,
- auditing charts for quality assurance,
- documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record ,
- attending and participating in community or host site events ,
- collaborating with supervisors and other leadership,
- conducting social determinants of health screener,
- providing social service navigation, maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies ,
- participating in meetings and conferences,
- conducting program quality improvement and data analysis
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills,
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance,
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups ,
- Interested in health and wellness promotion,
- Experience interacting with patient populations,
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology ,
- Positive attitude,
- Patient and calm,
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite) ,
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations,
- Creative problem solving,
- Non-judgmental, Kind and friendly,
- Experience in a community health center or healthcare setting
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements ,
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects
The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Service position assignments involve a variety of conventional problems, questions, or situations that conform to established criteria
- The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
to motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts
- Personal vehicle required,
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed ,
- Language proficiency,
- There might be evening or weekends depending on when the community events take place.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Bi-lingual Spanish/English is preferred as a large majority of our population is Spanish speaking.