NHC Position Type
The purpose of the member is to provide home visiting initial intake for pregnant women in the community about the services that the Healthy Start Coalition provides such as case management, breastfeeding education, safe sleep resources, nutrition education, infant care, fatherhood education, and parenting classes. This will require that the member do home visits to clients that need it most to see what social needs they have. The member will provide individual health education to moms, dads and families on nutrition, safe sleep, breast-feeding, and prescription drug disposal to combat the opioid crisis and community social services (e.g. SNAP, transportation, substance use recovery centers, financial assistance, and housing assistance). The member will assist women with completing the Medicaid application. The member will represent the Healthy Start Coalition at health fairs to promote Healthy Start services. The member will be contributing to improving the screening rate as well as improving health outcomes for our mothers and babies in Northeast Florida.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Practicing intake and referrals of patients in need
- Identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- Offering and reviewing screenings or self-referrals
- Referring patients to other programs and community services
- Providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- Auditing charts for quality assurance
- Documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- Attending and participating in community or host site events
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Implementing strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- Providing social service navigation
- Maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
- Participating in meetings and conferences
- Conducting program quality improvement and data analysis
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Interest in maternal health
- Comfortable with strangers
- Organized; sound organizational skills,
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience in healthcare field
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Positive attitude
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Experience working with patient populations
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements.
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options.
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a
substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To give or exchange information
- Personal vehicle required
- Language proficiency
- Preference for someone who speaks Spanish
Language Proficiency Requirements