NHC Position Type
The AmeriCorps member will play a critical role to ensure that only eligible patients receive medical services and access to free medications at the Sulzbacher Primary Care clinic. Previous experience confirms that some Sulzbacher residents require assistance to understand and submit the information required to ensure their medical eligibility. Based on 2017 new patient estimates, the member will be responsible for validating eligibility for estimated 2,000 patients that will be seen in the Downtown Primary Care Clinic. The member may also act as a patient resource, assisting patients to connect with other appropriate programs through our case management team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening patients for health concerns and eligibility
- Following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Attending meetings and patient huddles
- Preparing and reviewing intake checklists/consent forms
- Creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- Counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
- Finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently. The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff. Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others. The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis. The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
Health screening or service required
Language Proficiency Requirements
Spanish speaking preferred
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Members cannot serve in this position if they have a criminal history that would not allow them to handle patient health information and maintain patient privacy.