NHC Position Type
The AmeriCorps member will be a vital part of the clinical processes at Sulzbacher by enrolling homeless residence in patient assistance programs (PAP). The member will be responsible for obtaining approximately 1/3 of all medication dispensed to the over 3,300 patients seen at Sulzbacher each year. Management of the patient assistance program by an AmeriCorps member bridges gaps in patient therapy that would otherwise be unfilled, and allows for increased treatment options for the indigent patient population served by the Sulzbacher Center. The member will also act as a patient resource connecting the underserved population at Sulzbacher to government programs such as the SNAP and Free Government Phone Programs. The member will also provide health education to patients on mental health, art therapy, lifestyle changes, diabetes, tobacco cessation, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- Following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Inputting received medications into database/stock room
- Coordinating with other programs to provide health classes
- Recruiting clients to participate in health classes
- Co-facilitating group classes on health and lifestyle
- Following-up with companies to verify application status
- Requesting medication refills for patients already enrolled
- Receiving, processing, packing, and storing medications
- Ensuring inventory is stocked and stored appropriately
- Registering patients as well as providing follow-up social service navigation
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Knowledge of health records
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Starts projects independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems. Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment. In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff. Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis. The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To provide customer service
- Special dress code - the member is required to wear scrubs
- Health screening or service required
- Criminal history check requirements beyond those required by National Health Corps
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
The member has to pass a level 2 background check for HRSA.