NHC Position Type
The AmeriCorps member will play a critical role to ensure that only eligible patients receive dental services and access to free medications at the Sulzbacher Primary Care clinic. Previous experience confirms that some residents of Sulzbacher Center for the Homeless require assistance to understand and submit the information required to ensure their eligibility to receive dental services. The member will also be screening first time clients for opioid drug misuse and nutrition/physical activity needs in order to inform dental providers before they receive services. Member will also refer clients to addiction recovery services, physical activity programs, and tobacco cessation resources. The member may also act as a patient resource, assisting patients to connect with other appropriate social service programs through our case management team. Member will also be take client temperatures, screen them for COVID-19 symptoms and refer clients to testing and treatment as needed. Member will conduct these screenings in the community and onsite at the host site.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening patients for health concerns and eligibility
- Following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Providing brief health education to patients,
- Coordinating with other programs to provide health classes
- Recruiting clients to participate in health classes
- Attending meetings and patient huddles
- Preparing and reviewing intake checklists/consent forms
- Conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership
- Conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters
- Creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- Scheduling and coordinating communication for outreach visits
- Registering patients as well as providing follow-up
- Social service navigation
- Finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity,
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Spanish speaker
- Team player
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently. The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required. The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service. Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations. Member may need to think outside the box to assist patient with providing necessary documentation.
The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment. The service position assignments vary significantly or often involve unusual circumstances and incomplete or conflicting data. There are clear eligibility guidelines but it is often difficult for patients to provide the necessary documentation. The member may have to come up with alternatives for the patient.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others. The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To give or exchange information
- Health screening or service required
- Criminal history check requirements beyond those required by National Health Corps
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Health Service volunteers are required to have a Level 2 background check