NHC Position Type
*Priority position - member selected for this position will start as soon as possible and serve for 46 weeks.
This position will focus on providing education, wellness activities, social opportunities and referrals to our clients and potential clients. In addition to utilizing the NEW-R wellness program for adults with mental illness, opioid addiction, substance abuse problems and chronic diseases, the individual will focus on capacity building in order to help CBHC expand and enhance services to our target populations. The AmeriCorps member may see clients for one on one wellness visits based on the NEW-R program. The member will build a network of providers at Clay Behavioral Health Center and in the community, who will refer clients to the AmeriCorps member for wellness education and social service navigation. The member will be actively involved in the development of opioid focused community initiatives in collaboration with community partners. This will involve outreach, data collection, tracking trends and changes and increasing the effectiveness in achieving outcomes and improving success rates.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- Developing and/or facilitating classes with other professionals
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Coordinating health and wellness activities including classes and groups
- Educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- Documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- Attending and participating in community or host site events
- Creating social media content to promote the programs
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Implement strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- Participating in meetings and conferences
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience in healthcare field
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Knowledge of the disease process
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
Before a project is implemented it is reviewed and approved by the supervisor.
Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects. Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques. Each AmeriCorps member has the ability to build on what previous members have done, changing the basic program to the current needs of the agency.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Clients Community partners
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
NHC members must pass a Level 2 DCF background check