NHC Position Type
The primary focus of the program is to empower youth by teaching safe and healthy relationship skills while engaging parents, influential adults, and the community to shift the attitudes and beliefs regarding intimate partner violence.
The AmeriCorps member will serve as the Violence Prevention Facilitator for Youth for elementary, middle, and high school students in community-based after-school programs, charter schools, and other child-focused venues, as well as the residential shelter, H.A.R.K., and the One Love initiative. The member will conduct one-on-one assessments and education with children on emotional regulation and behavioral issues that arise from witnessing or experiencing domestic violence.
This position will be responsible for administering curriculum at community sites, serving as a liaison between the child-focused site and Hubbard House, developing new site relationships to expand curriculum delivery, and completing all required documentation and reports, coordinating activities of the Community Action Team to promote the Hubbard House vision of "Every Relationship Violence-Free".
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services
- Identifying hosts and sponsors in various communities to form new partnerships
- Facilitating interventions and classes about health issue prevention and management and overall wellness
- Planning and preparing classes
- Developing community relationships
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Able to build strong relationships
- Community engagement/outreach skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Able to communicate effectively with individuals or diverse backgrounds and identities
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards, and files of previous projects
- Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- To motivate, influence, or educate people to support behavior change
- Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts
- Personal vehicle required
- The service hours for this position contain evenings and occasional weekends. A personal vehicle is required to travel to community partners to deliver programming to youth.
Language Proficiency Requirements