NHC Position Type
Esperanza Health Center (EHC)’s Health and Wellness Navigator will serve as a member of the Community Health and Wellness Department. The Community Health and Wellness Department serves as a bridge between the clinic and the community, providing health education, programming, and wellness initiatives for patients and community members. Through wellness activities, Esperanza aims to create safe spaces for families and individuals to learn, have fun, and receive support while creating a community.
The Health and Wellness Navigator will play a unique and important role in the Community Health and Wellness Department by creating a bridge between the department and the patients they aim to serve. The Health and Wellness Navigator will provide support to patients in making lifestyle changes through linkages to resources, programs, and opportunities within Esperanza Health Center's new community wellness center, The CORE, in North Philadelphia. In addition, the Health and Wellness Navigator will help run community programming, provide individualized peer support to patients working towards wellness goals, and will work alongside the quality assurance team, to better identify and understand the unmet needs of some of Esperanza Health Center's most vulnerable patients.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Practicing intake and referrals of patients in need
- Identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services. Offering and reviewing screenings or self-referrals
- Referring patients to other programs and community services. Tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- Providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- Implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Coordinating health and wellness activities, including classes and groups, educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- Documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- Attending and participating in community or host site events creating
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Implement strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- Social determinants of health screener
- Providing social service navigation
- Maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
- Participating in meetings and conferences
Survey patients for barriers to care and compile recommendations to reduce health inequities.
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Comfortable speaking with patient/client populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient/client populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Experience in interviewing or peer counseling
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Experience working with patient/client populations
- Familiarity with patient/client populations
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient/client populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
- Experience in community health or in a healthcare setting
Ability to learn the use of an electronic medical record
Ability to foster a spirit of humility, listening, and unity in dealing with patients, and with team members
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required
- In the space below, provide additional information or explanations.:
Regular supervision in check-ins will be provided.
The Member will work on their projects in a collaborative fashion with the supervisor who will not monitor each call or patient interaction but will be available for questions and regular check-ins after the Member has received sufficient training.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but adaptations may be made in collaboration with the supervisor who will be available for discussion and clarification.
Member will work with their supervisor to develop tasks and activities, many of which have precedence but are open to flexibility and creativity.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
- Community Groups
- Community Organizations
Purpose of Contacts
- To give or exchange information
- To provide customer service
- To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
To identify barriers to improve care provided at health center.
- Language proficiency*
- Health screening or service required
Will require the ability to work some nights and weekends, with flex time provided as agreed upon with the supervisor.
Professional dress code required.
Must be willing to work in a complex community, including following any safety recommendations advised by supervisor and colleagues.
Comfortable working in a faith-based work environment.
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Spanish language proficiency is strongly preferred
- Able to satisfy routine social demands and limited work requirements
- Able to read simple prose, in a form equivalent to typescript or printing, on subjects within a familiar context
- Able to speak the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social, and professional topics.
- Able to read standard newspaper items addressed to the general reader, routine correspondence, reports, and technical materials in the individual’s special field.