NHC Position Type
Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) is a community-based nonprofit organization established to provide primary & preventative medical, dental and behavioral health services to the working uninsured and underinsured populations in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Individuals eligible for services, work with an income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines and have no access to affordable health insurance or medical care. The uninsured rate in Luzerne County is 9% which equates to about 30,000 without health insurance. It is estimated that almost three times that amount have no dental insurance. VIM is seeing an influx of new patients due to the pandemic. Some have had to change from a full-time job to two part-time jobs thus losing insurance through their employer. The pandemic has caused an increase in behavioral health issues. Many patients have mounted stress and depression due to the need for social distancing, wearing masks and attempting to keep their loved ones safe. We are also seeing an extensive waiting list for dental care due to many not seeking preventative care in 2020. VIM is also experiencing “long haulers” which are unvaccinated patients that have contracted COVID and continue to have symptoms.
VIM is in need of a NHC member that will provide VIM outreach and patient care outreach in a variety of responsibilities. As a healthcare facility serving the low income, underserved populations it is vital to provide comprehensive care. This includes the health equity program, case management, COVID information, medication management and community awareness.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Community Health Worker will be:
- practicing intake and referrals of patients in need, identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- referring patients to other programs and community services
- tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- coordinating health and wellness activities including classes and groups
- documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- attending and participating in community or host site events
- creating social media content to promote the programs
- collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- conducting social determinants of health screener
- providing social service navigation
- maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
- participating in meetings and conferences
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be:
- Organized, with sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker, ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations individually or in groups
- Team-oriented with a positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Instills trust easily
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Experience in the health field is an asset but not a requirement. Someone with the passion to help the low income population is necessary.
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To Provide customer service
Language Proficiency Requirements
Spanish language proficiency, a plus