NHC Position Type
Scranton has a new public health department and the Public Health Workforce Development Corps Members will provide community outreach in various housing developments and city areas.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the Public health dashboard and create social media pages for public health
- ·Organize vaccination clinics and health fairs in the community.
- ·Attend Pop-Up City Halls and other community events to understand the needs of the community and to promote public health.
- ·Improve access to healthcare for low-income, minority, and immigrant populations by communicating with residents and collaborating with other community partners.
- ·Combat the opioid crisis and substance abuse by spreading public health messages and collaborating with community partners to destigmatize addiction.
- ·Work to improve access to mental and behavioral health care by raising awareness through education and spreading relevant public health messages in the community.
- ·Address chronic health illnesses by promoting and planning educational programs for diabetes prevention, nutrition education, and healthy living.
- ·Will communicate with the community residents and leaders to understand the needs and find the gaps in the services to improve the physical and mental health of the residents.
- ·Create public health messages to improve awareness about general safety rules like seat belt use, bike helmet use, dangers of speeding and intoxicated driving, etc.
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- good communication skills
- pleasant, patient
- comfortable with interacting and building relationships with the community members
- ready to learn new skills
Knowledge Required for the Position
- High school diploma or higher
- Volunteer experience with outreach in the community
- Some health-related experiences would be beneficial as well
- Experience with working and managing social media accounts
- Creating educational materials like flyers and posters on Word or Canva
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
- Bilingual, Spanish/English, a plus