NHC Position Type
As a Care Coordinator at GMC, the NHC member will be serving with eligible patients to address preventative cancer screenings and to respond to pertinent social determinants of health (SDOH) with a primary goal of increasing seniors’ ability to remain in their own homes with the same or improved quality of life for as long as possible. They will be serving with Hep C and Medication assisted treatment (MAT) populations to address preventative screenings and SDOH. The position will include a significant amount of direct patient interaction and the ability to work with whole care teams (nurses, providers, health center managers, etc.). In addition, the NHC member will conduct outreach to isolated patients in need of Covid-19 testing and vaccination and will manage standby outreach and educate patients as they arrive for testing/vaccine clinics. As a Care Coordinator, the NHC member will be addressing the opioid epidemic by addressing holistic needs of patients and serving in a medical home where patients are encouraged to stay connected to their treatment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- referring patients to other programs and community services
- tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- conducting social determinants of health screener
- providing social service navigation
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Experience interacting with patient populations, Team-oriented
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Experience in interviewing or peer counseling
- Good verbal and written communication skills, Experience working with patient populations
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Kind and friendly
- Experience in a community health center or healthcare setting
- NHC Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the NHC Member at service.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
- Community organizations
Purpose of Contacts
- to motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Must possess proficiency in both English and Spanish languages
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance