NHC Position Type
The Health Access Liaison (Insurance) position at Nationalities Service Center conducts outreach, education, connection to primary care and preventive services and eligibility screening and health insurance enrollment assistance, and provides general health access supports to vulnerable refugees and immigrants in the Greater Philadelphia region. As such, the Health Access Liaison (Insurance) is an integral part of NSC’s Health Team and connects with other NSC programs on a regular basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- referring patients to other programs and community services
- implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- providing social service navigation
- healthcare service navigation
- insurance eligibility screening and referral
- preventive care coordination
- coordination with non-member volunteers
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Experience working with patient populations
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- working knowledge of US healthcare system
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the NHC member at service.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the NHC member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- In making decisions, the NHC member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
- In addition to contact with clients, this position is the main point of contact for a community organization partnership.
Purpose of Contacts
- to give or exchange information
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Second language proficiency in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance