NHC Position Type
The member will provide education and advocacy to Abbottsford Falls patients ages 18 and above ,and the surrounding community in order to improve access to health services at the Abbottsford Falls health center and beyond. Specifically, the member will assist in initiatives to help patients identify barriers that may exists to health care engagement through the delivery of Social Determinant of Health Screenings and linkage to relevant support supervises to address those barriers. Additionally members will work with patients 50+ who have identified a need for help, in their homes and in their communities through waiver services, food, family support and end of life planning. Members will help senior patients navigate community services and referrals to local resources.
The Abbottsford Falls Community has long been our home as we began as a grass roots organization within the Abbottsford Homes PHA Development. It remains an economically challenged community, which is reflective our patient population. 69% of our patients at Abbottsford Falls are at 100% of the Federal Poverty Limit, within a high risk population for unaddressed health care needs as well as a multitude of other social determinant including access to food, housing and legal services. The NHC Member will contribute to aiding in closing the gaps services and resources, by their contributions to the primary care and shared services teams.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening patients for health concerns and eligibility
- Completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- Following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Tracking, enrolling, and surveying patients for improvement
- Following up with companies to verify application status
- Attending meetings and patient huddles
- Conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership
- Assisting in care coordination and resource referrals
- Conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters
- Counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
- Finding additional community resources and programs for patients
- Insurance Navigation , End of life planning, Social Determinant of Health (ages 55+), Women's health, identifying gaps in service related to racial disparities, gender and social economic status.
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g. Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- follow-through and persistence
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member to complete host site on-boarding and orientation including all relevant trainings pertaining to specific tasks and assignments.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- The service activities will be reviewed though on-going one on one supervision with direct supervisor,. Also activities will be reviewed though the participation in team meetings where members are invited to provide their input and recommendations for improved practices.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- As our patients needs are complex, at times are more individualized as indicated by the situation at hand. Guidance is provided through direct, supervisor, shared services staff and center director as needed.
- The service position assignments vary significantly or often involve unusual circumstances and incomplete or conflicting data.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors.
- Health screening or service required
- As we are a Federally Qualified Health Center, we are required to follow the local and federal recommendations and/or mandates regarding COVID Vaccination, the use of PPE and required masking.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination must be produced upon hire.