NHC Position Type
The Infectious Disease Care Navigator will serve as a bridge between Hepatitis C (HCV), People Living with HIV (PLWH), and Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP) at PHHS and the Medication Assisted Treatment program. The member will be responsible for outreach, enrollment, follow up, and tracking of patients with HCV, HIV, and appropriate candidates for PrEP. Priority services will identify and address unmet needs of Black and Latinx women, and people who engage in higher-risk activities related to substance use, sex work, housing instability, and lack of engagement in primary care. Special attention will be paid to the LGBTQ Health Champions program and transgender health initiatives (collectively referred to as sexual orientation and gender identity and expression, SOGIE). This position is directly supervised by the MAT Program Manager and receives task supervision from the physicians responsible for HCV, PLWH, PrEP, and SOGIE specialized care. The target population served by this position includes residents of the SKWC catchment areas of 19121 and 19134, as well as at the Hub of Hope clinic for people experiencing homelessness, and Pathways to Housing PA clinic for people with chronic homelessness plus serious mental illness and/or substance use disorders. This position provides essential support for the provision of infectious disease care and cure, as well as proactive support for SOGIE minority individuals within these locations. This position has recurring access to persons with disabilities, children, and elders through regular health care operations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Practicing intake and referrals of patients in need
- Offering and reviewing screenings or self-referrals
- Patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- Implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- Documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Providing social service navigation
- Conducting program quality improvement and data analysis
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience in healthcare field
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the disease process
- Experience working with patient populations
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
- Ability to serve within a low barrier, harm reduction, trauma informed care program
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- Some tasks are well defined and routine, others will require creativity, flexibility, and problem solving.
- The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Some tasks are well-defined and with clearly developed guidelines and timelines. Others, such as patient engagement, will require significant independent problem-solving.
- Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
- The service position assignments vary significantly or often involve unusual circumstances and incomplete or conflicting data.
- In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
- Due to the individualized nature of engagement in and barriers to care, the member will need to think creatively and approach issues with flexibility, tolerance, and patience.
Nature of Contacts
- health care providers, community organizations, community members
Purpose of Contacts
- To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors.
- to provide engagement in care, and to motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Language proficiency (Bilingual Spanish/English proficiency is helpful but not required)
- Health screening or service required
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination must be produced upon hire.
- Candidates with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply!