NHC Position Type
The overarching goal of the NHC member is to build the capacity of PLA’s Medical-Legal-Community Partnership (MLCP) to treat the health-harming legal needs of patients with substance use disorders. They will do so by offering direct, on-site legal aid for patients at Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) programs at two Federally-Qualified Health Centers, Health Center 6 and Delaware Valley Community Health (DVCH).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- practicing intake and referrals of patients in need
- identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- offering and reviewing screenings or self-referrals
- referring patients to other programs and community services
- tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- attending and participating in community or host site events
- creating social media content to promote the programs
- collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- implement strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- providing social service navigation
- conducting social determinants of health screener
- maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
- participating in meetings and conferences
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Experience working with patient populations
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
- Knowledge of legal services and federal/state assistance programs.
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- NHC member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The NHC member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the NHC member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- NHC member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
- NHC member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
- In making decisions, the NHC member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
- The NHC member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- NHC member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- The NHC member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- to provide customer service
- to give or exchange information
Member will travel between 2 health center locations throughout the week (schedule TBD):
- Delaware Valley Community Health (DVCH)—1 site
Girard Medical Center
801 W Girard Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19122
- Philadelphia Department of Public Health, Health Center 6 – (1 site)
301 W Girard Ave,
Philadelphia, PA, 19123
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Second language proficiency in Spanish is required; fluency preferred
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance