NHC Position Type
The Prescription Assistance Program helps uninsured patients obtain needed medications through programs offered by pharmaceutical companies that provide these medications at no cost to eligible patients. The Patient Navigator will assist patients navigating the application process, requesting timely refills, and tracking dispensed medication counts. The Patient Navigator will also support our Self-Monitoring Blood Pressure Program by onboarding patients into the program, providing trouble shooting support when needed, and will distribute Bluetooth devices and track patient participation.
Additionally, the Patient Navigator may design educational materials for health center patients, and collaborate with the HIV Program to support the HIV Testing, Treatment and Prevention Information initiative, building awareness of HIV prevention tools and methods via informational bulletin boards.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- Following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Brief health education to patients
- Inputting received medications into database/stockroom
- Following up with companies to verify application status
- Requesting medication refills for patients already enrolled
- Receiving, processing, packing and storing medications
- Attending meetings and patient huddles
- Assisting in care coordination and resource referrals
- Linking patients to care by scheduling appointments
- Researching and designing monthly education displays
- Finding additional community resources and programs for patients
- Teaching patients how to use remote health self monitoring devices.
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g. Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Knowledge of health records
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations; Spanish speaker
- Start projects independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Member has little or no choice about how to perform the service position.
- During service term, member should stay aware of changing guidelines due to changes in Pharmaceutical programs.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
- Pharmaceutical Companies
Purpose of Contacts
- To give or exchange information
- Unusual service hours, that could involve evenings or weekends; members could opt to stay for evening clinic, though it's not required.
- Language proficiency in another language in addition to English preferred.
- Health screening or service required,
- COVID Screening to be done before every shift.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination must be produced upon hire.