NHC Position Type
The NHC member role within our Patient Assistance Program, continuous quality improvement efforts, Medication Assisted Treatment “MAT” program, and remote physiological monitoring (RPM) training are vital to the operations of our city health centers. The activities outlined below align with the NHC mission of providing both health access and education to underserved communities. The service provided for the Patient Assistance Program and RPM training by the NHC member addresses the focus area of increasing seniors’ ability to remain in their own homes with the same or improved quality of life. The activities involving the MAT program address the opioid crisis, by providing services to patients suffering from opioid use disorder.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- screening patients for health concerns and eligibility,
- completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- providing education on how to complete paperwork
- inputting received medications into database/stock room
- tracking, enrolling, and surveying patients for improvement
- following-up with companies to verify application status
- requesting medication refills for patients already enrolled
- receiving, processing, packing, and storing medications
- attending meetings and patient huddles
- conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership
- conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters
- researching and designing monthly education displays
- interacting with patients to complete quality reviews
- ensuring inventory is stocked and stored appropriately
- finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Start projects independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- NHC member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- The NHC member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Most instructions are easily memorized and require little interpretation.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the NHC member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
- In special circumstances, member may need to diverge from traditional approaches and techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The NHC member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
- Community Organizations
- Pharmaceutical Companies
Purpose of Contacts
- to provide customer service
- to give or exchange information
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
- Member will travel to 2 health center locations throughout the week, with schedule as follows:
Strawberry Mansion Health Center- 2840 W. Dauphin Street Phila, PA 19132 (Mon, Tues and Thurs)
Health Center #10- 2230 Cottman Ave Philadelphia, PA 19149 (Wed and Fri)
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Second language proficiency in a language other than English preferred, but not required
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance