NHC Position Type
The NHC member will serve in the position of the Prenatal Patient Advocate, with a specific focus on patient needs around nutrition, obesity and substance use. NHC member will meet with all positive pregnancies to assess need and also ensure that every effort has been made to secure health insurance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- practicing intake and referrals of patients in need
- identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- offering and reviewing screenings or self-referrals
- referring patients to other programs and community services
- tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- developing and/or facilitating classes with other professionals
- maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- coordinating health and wellness activities including classes and groups
- educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- auditing charts for quality assurance
- documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- attending and participating in community or host site events
- creating social media content to promote the programs
- updating documentation to assess program adoption and progress
- collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- implement strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- screening persons admitted for referral to behavioral health services
- conducting social determinants of health screener
- providing social service navigation
- maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
- participating in meetings and conferences
- conducting program quality improvement and data analysis
- educating pts on specific COVID safety precautions and office protocols
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Experience in interviewing or peer counseling
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
- Comfortable working independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Member and supervisor meet regularly to identify and review projects and goals, as well as address any concerns.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
- Member is invited to contribute suggestion and revisions to current guidelines.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
- The PPA role has a vast array of responsibilities. The member's ability to learn and juggle multiple tasks is essential. The nature of the position lends itself to being fun and interesting.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- Member’s service position impacts on the adequacy of research conclusions.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
- Community Organizations
Purpose of Contacts
- to provide customer service
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Proficiency in a language(s) in addition to English a plus, namely French, Spanish, and/or Arabic
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance