NHC Position Type
FPCN is a federally qualified health center that has grown and developed in response to need and demand by the communities served from within the Abbottsford public housing development to a network of 4 health centers in the city of Philadelphia. Network services are targeted to public housing residents and people from the surrounding communities. Primary services are provided by nurse practitioners, with the assistance of nurses, medical assistants, midwives, diabetes educators, dieticians, outreach workers, mind and body specialists and social workers. These services are fully integrated within primary care. The network also offers behavioral health, dental services and wellness programs and operates under a medical home and trauma-informed care model.
The purpose of the Care Coordinator/Prenatal Patient Advocate is to ensure FPCNs prenatal patients remain engaged in care, receive needed resources and have positive prenatal and pregnancy outcomes. Of our total patient panel 58% have an elevated BMI, with most meeting the criteria for obese or morbidly obese. Of our total patient panel, we do not have delivery information for all, meaning that a significant number of patients are lost to care. All of our patients are screened for exposure to Adverse Childhood Events (ACE), such as neglect, abuse, illness, etc. The higher one's ACE score the greater the risk of behavioral and physical & mental health issues. The ACE study's results suggest that maltreatment and household dysfunction in childhood contribute to health problems decades later. These include chronic diseases—such as obesity, heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. Approximately 705 of our patients have an ACE score ≥ 4 dramatically increasing the patient's likelihood of being obese as well as diagnoses of depression, substance abuse and chronic illness.
Patients who are screened for risks of ETOH/substance use are routinely assessed by Behavioral Health Consultant and referred when necessary to supportive interventions such as the MAT program (Medication Assisted Therapy).
The NHC member will fill the vital role of assessing available resources as well as adapting our strategies to engage patient awareness and participation in services that will benefit a favorable outcome for their pregnancy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- dentifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- Referring patients to other programs and community services tracking
- Patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- Providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- Implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Educating patients on medical interventions and prevention
- Auditing charts for quality assurance
- Documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- Attending and participating in community or host site events creating
- Social media content to promote the programs
- Updating documentation to assess program adoption and progress
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Implement strategies to recruit clients to attend health and wellness classes
- Social determinants of health screener
- Providing social service navigation
- Maintaining, assembling, and distributing materials and supplies
- Participating in meetings and conferences
- Conducting program quality improvement and data analysis
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Experience working with patient populations
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Member and supervisor work closely together to ensure that the objectives of service activities are clearly understood and able to be managed independently for optimal outcome. Provided supervisor and member are both confident in the task, member is given freedom to serve independently with supervisor as a resource.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
- Member has little or no choice about how to perform the service position.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
- In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
- The responsibilities of the position are varied, yet faintly consistent. The member needs to apply creativity as needed for the unavoidable occasions where unusual circumstances require a high level of adaptability.
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
- Language proficiency is not required but it is greatly appreciated. Most notably French, Spanish, Farsi or Persian.
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination must be produced upon hire.