NHC Position Type
The NHC member will join a team of community health workers serving eleven school-based health centers to engage more intensively with students facing serious health concerns that will impede their long-term prospects in life providing education, care coordination, and support to families to address various social determinants of health related to poverty. Community health workers deepen the work and impact with students who are at-risk for poor health and academic outcomes as a result of uncontrolled asthma, diabetes, obesity, and now through this one NHC member in the 2021/2022 school year, substance use and abuse. The member will be trained on the Teen Intervene curriculum for the substance abuse prevention work, and many other concepts and strategies related to asthma, diabetes, trauma, and adolescent health, as well as COVID-19 mitigation efforts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- screening patients for health concerns and eligibility
- completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- providing education on how to complete paperwork
- providing brief health education to patients
- coordinating with other programs to provide health classes
- tracking, enrolling, and surveying patients for improvement
- recruiting clients to participate in health classes
- co-facilitating group classes on health and lifestyle
- informal one-on-one training on client referrals
- following-up with companies to verify application status
- attending meetings and patient huddles
- conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership
- assisting in care coordination and resource referrals
- tracking referrals and closing the referral loop
- conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters, linking patients to care by scheduling appointments
- researching and designing monthly education displays
- conducting extensive and continuous research on social services
- creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
- registering patients as well as providing follow-up social service navigation
- finding additional community resources and programs for
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Spanish speaker
- Start projects independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- NHC member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the NHC member at service.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Most instructions are easily memorized and require little interpretation.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- to motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Second language proficiency in Spanish preferred
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance