NHC Position Type
The NHC member will provide education and advocacy to patients 50+ and the surrounding community in order to improve access to health services at the Abbottsford Falls health center and beyond. Specifically, the NHC member will assist in initiatives to help keep senior patients in their homes and in their communities through waiver services, food, family support and end of life planning. NHC member will help senior patients navigate community services and referrals to local resources.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- providing education on how to complete paperwork
- providing brief health education to patients
- attending meetings and patient huddles
- conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters
- conducting extensive and continuous research on social services
- creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- counseling clients on how to access social services and benefit
- developing various programs on improving health literacy
- coordinating for resource distribution with other programs
- finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Start projects independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the NHC member at service.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- NHC member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
- The NHC member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The NHC member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- NHC member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- The NHC member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Purpose of Contacts
- Community groups
- to provide customer service
- to give or exchange information
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance