NHC Position Type
The NHC member will help patients 55 and over obtain, keep, and understand their insurance benefits. NHC member will stay abreast of changes in insurance to help patients understand and navigate those changes. NHC member will also help patients enroll in other benefits, such as SNAP and LIHEAP. This allows patients to better care for their health and healthcare needs. The NHC member will assist in initiatives to help keep senior patients in their homes and in their communities through waiver services, food, family support and end of life planning. NHC member will help senior patients navigate community services and referrals to local resources.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- screening patients for health concerns and eligibility
- completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- providing brief health education to patients
- following-up with companies to verify application status
- attending meetings and patient huddles
- conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership
- conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters
- linking patients to care by scheduling appointments
- creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
- Collaborate with the Nurse Practitioner in providing resources and services to senior patients.
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Start projects independently
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- to give or exchange information
- Special safety regulations or precautions that must be observed
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
- Child abuse clearance