NHC Position Type
The NHC member will serve as Children’s Hospital’s Community Health representative working primarily on the Healthy Schools, Healthy Out-of-School Time (HOST), and Healthy Early Childhood (HEC) programs. These three initiatives focus on improving healthy eating and active living behaviors to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity in the communities we serve. The member will provide content knowledge and expertise, technical assistance, and training to community partners, as well as health education to youth. The member will refine communication strategies for ongoing support to partners and staff (i.e. emails, newsletters, health fairs). In addition to supporting these three programs, the member will provide support to the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile, Children’s mobile health unit, by assisting with community outreach and promotion to patients in the communities where the Care Mobile provides medical services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services
- Collaborating with pre-existing patients and partner organizations
- Identifying hosts and sponsors in various communities to form new partnerships
- Recruiting participants,
- Facilitating interventions and classes about health issue prevention and management and overall wellness
- Creating healthcare and wellness educational materials, facilitating and conducting healthcare and wellness trainings and classes
- Implementing and executing program using established protocols
- Planning and preparing for classes, keeping and organizing documentation and records,
- Engaging in program planning, doing physical exercise demonstrations, developing community relationships
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance,
- Coordination and/or great project management skills,
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Proficient computer skills and data entry skills,
- Passion for community outreach or helping others to improve their health a plus
Knowledge Required for the Position
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations: Although the member is provided detailed instructions, our member has flexibility to make adaptations to programming based on personal interests and needs of our partners.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
- The Member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations: Our programs are adapted to each of our audiences and partners, and the member is responsible for investigating resources and supports to best meet those needs.
Nature of Contacts
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations: Community Groups, Public (especially children and families)
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts Personal vehicle required
Health Screenings and Services - TB test
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations: Our member provides technical assistance and health education supports to schools, out-of-school time, and early childcare partners around the County. Having access to a personal vehicle is strongly recommended since some partners may take a significant amount of time to get to via public transit. Additionally, members are usually bringing supplies with them that could be difficult to transport. Rarely do our member work weekends, but they may have evening hours to accommodate educational programming of out-of school programs.
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
In addition to NHC Standard Checks, all NHC Pittsburgh members are required to complete and pass criminal history checks for Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute/Diversified Care Management (DCM). Great Lakes/DCM is a third party vendor contracted with the Allegheny County Health Department (operating site for NHC Pittsburgh) to distribute NHC Pittsburgh member stipends. NHC Pittsburgh members are onboarded to Great Lakes/DCM system only when the checks have been completed and the member has passed those checks.
The checks that all NHC Pittsburgh members would be required to complete and pass for Great Lakes/DCM are the following: 1) Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance), 2) National Sex Offender Registry Clearance, 3) Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance, and 4) Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance - ONLY completed via Identogo PA).
NHC members do not have to pay for the completion of these checks. Great Lakes/DCM will distribute payment codes for the Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance) and Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance which is conducted through Identogo PA ( PA FBI fingerprinting agency). The National Sex Offender Registry Clearance and Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance) will be completed by Great Lakes/DCM upon receiving requested information that members will be asked to submit.