NHC Position Type
The MCH Coordinator will improve the health of mothers and women of childbearing age by providing case management services to them and their families. As an integral member of the team, the NHC member will collaborate with physicians and staff to identify high risk women to optimize their health prior to getting pregnant and provide education and counseling at well child and maternity or well woman care visits. The MCH Coordinator will focus on several important risk factors linked to adverse birth outcomes including smoking, depression, family planning, and multivitamin use in addition to other social determinants of health (SDOH) that may put mothers at risk.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing individualized, tailored care to a specific patient population
- Facilitating, overseeing, and coordinating health classes
- Providing one-on-one instruction as well as group tutoring
- Providing intake and assessment for social determinants of health
- Navigating patients to other social services,
- Providing access to and awareness of resources for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills,
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance,
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion,
- Experience in healthcare field,
- Positive attitude,
- Patient and calm,
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Creative problem solving,
- Kind and friendly,
- Experience in a community health center or healthcare setting
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To provide customer service
Criminal history check requirements beyond those required by National Health Corps
Health Screening or service required
For all special considerations related to criminal history check requirements or language proficiency, please note what is required beyond what is already required by National Health Corps.
UPMC Background Test is required.
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
In addition to NHC Standard Checks, all NHC Pittsburgh members are required to complete and pass criminal history checks for Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute/Diversified Care Management (DCM). Great Lakes/DCM is a third party vendor contracted with the Allegheny County Health Department (operating site for NHC Pittsburgh) to distribute NHC Pittsburgh member stipends. NHC Pittsburgh members are onboarded to Great Lakes/DCM system only when the checks have been completed and the member has passed those checks.
The checks that all NHC Pittsburgh members would be required to complete and pass for Great Lakes/DCM are the following: 1) Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance), 2) National Sex Offender Registry Clearance, 3) Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance, and 4) Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance - ONLY completed via Identogo PA).
NHC members do not have to pay for the completion of these checks. Great Lakes/DCM will distribute payment codes for the Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance) and Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance which is conducted through Identogo PA ( PA FBI fingerprinting agency). The National Sex Offender Registry Clearance and Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance) will be completed by Great Lakes/DCM upon receiving requested information that members will be asked to submit.