NHC Position Type
The NHC member will provide direct service to the low-income households served by SHIM’s food pantries and other programs, including those for children and youth. The member’s primary duties will be to provide culturally-informed nutrition education, connect individuals with community health resources, and help ensure that program services are provided in an accessible and equitable way.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services
- Facilitating interventions and classes about health issue prevention and management and overall wellness
- Creating healthcare and wellness educational materials, facilitating and conducting healthcare and wellness trainings and classes
- Planning and preparing for classes,
- Keeping and organizing documentation and records,
- Doing healthy cooking demonstrations,
- Developing community relationships,
- Coordinating with food access program
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance,
- Coordination and/or great project management skills,
- Good verbal and written communication skills,
- Proficient computer skills and data entry skills,
- Passion for community outreach or helping others to improve their health a plus
In the space below, list other important characteristics. An important characteristic is one that is essential to success and high performance in this position.: Knowledge and interest in nutrition
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations: This position includes a mix of assigned activities and activities driven by member's own interests and initiative
- The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
The Member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Unusual physical demands involving climbing, lifting, stooping, and reaching, etc.
- Personal vehicle required,
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations.: Due to the physical nature of food distributions, member should be able to lift 40-50 pounds.
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
In addition to NHC Standard Checks, all NHC Pittsburgh members are required to complete and pass criminal history checks for Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute/Diversified Care Management (DCM). Great Lakes/DCM is a third party vendor contracted with the Allegheny County Health Department (operating site for NHC Pittsburgh) to distribute NHC Pittsburgh member stipends. NHC Pittsburgh members are onboarded to Great Lakes/DCM system only when the checks have been completed and the member has passed those checks.
The checks that all NHC Pittsburgh members would be required to complete and pass for Great Lakes/DCM are the following: 1) Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance), 2) National Sex Offender Registry Clearance, 3) Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance, and 4) Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance - ONLY completed via Identogo PA).
NHC members do not have to pay for the completion of these checks. Great Lakes/DCM will distribute payment codes for the Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance) and Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance which is conducted through Identogo PA ( PA FBI fingerprinting agency). The National Sex Offender Registry Clearance and Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance) will be completed by Great Lakes/DCM upon receiving requested information that members will be asked to submit.