NHC Position Type
The member's service will address the Program for Health Care to Underserved Populations (PHCUP)/Birmingham Free Clinic's mission of facilitating appropriate, culturally competent and needed health care and social service resources to the region's uninsured and medically indigent, regardless of their ability to pay, by actively participating in patient advocacy, case management, clinic workflow, health education, health screenings, and access to care activities at our Birmingham Free Clinic.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening patients for health concerns and eligibility, completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- Following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork
- Providing brief health education to patients
- Inputting received medications into database/stock room
- Following-up with companies to verify application status
- Requesting medication refills for patients already enrolled
- Receiving, processing, packing, and storing medications
- Attending meetings and patient huddles, conducting phone outreach as assigned by leadership, assisting in care coordination and resource referrals, tracking referrals and closing the referral loop, conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters, linking patients to care by scheduling appointments, researching and designing monthly education displays, collaborating with leadership to meet needs of materials
- Creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- Counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
- Coordinating for resource distribution with other programs
- Ensuring inventory is stocked and stored appropriately
- Registering patients as well as providing follow-up social service navigation, finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Takes initiative
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service
- Good telephone skills
- Start projects independently
In the space below, list other important characteristics. An important characteristic is one that is essential to success and high performance in this position:
Takes feedback well; continuous learning; not afraid to ask for help
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
In the space below, provide additional information or explanations: Knowledge of our core clinic policies, procedures, workflows, and schedules; also understanding chain of command.
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment. In the space below, provide additional information or explanations.: When member is acclimated, ideas, solutions and changes are always welcome if our organization can do something better and the member has feedback and/or ideas about it.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
to provide customer service
Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
In addition to NHC Standard Checks, all NHC Pittsburgh members are required to complete and pass criminal history checks for Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute/Diversified Care Management (DCM). Great Lakes/DCM is a third party vendor contracted with the Allegheny County Health Department (operating site for NHC Pittsburgh) to distribute NHC Pittsburgh member stipends. NHC Pittsburgh members are onboarded to Great Lakes/DCM system only when the checks have been completed and the member has passed those checks.
The checks that all NHC Pittsburgh members would be required to complete and pass for Great Lakes/DCM are the following: 1) Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance), 2) National Sex Offender Registry Clearance, 3) Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance, and 4) Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance - ONLY completed via Identogo PA).
NHC members do not have to pay for the completion of these checks. Great Lakes/DCM will distribute payment codes for the Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance) and Act 73 (FBI Criminal History Clearance which is conducted through Identogo PA ( PA FBI fingerprinting agency). The National Sex Offender Registry Clearance and Act 34 (Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance) will be completed by Great Lakes/DCM upon receiving requested information that members will be asked to submit.