NHC Position Type
All of the SFDPH positions listed will – in addition to the unique responsibilities described for each position – work as part of a COVID-19 team to conduct several components of contact investigation, contact tracing, and COVID-19 vaccination efforts. Activities will include: calling patients with a new diagnosis and obtaining demographic information, sharing guidance for self-isolation, facilitating referrals and linkage to services for medical and basic needs, and obtaining a list of close contacts from the patient. After the initial call, NHC members will follow up with COVID-19 positive patients to conduct wellness checks and facilitate referrals and linkage to services as needed. NHC members will also conduct outreach to patients eligible for COVID-19 immunization, ensuring that patients receive accurate information while receiving feedback from the patients. Members would also have the opportunity to assist COVID-19 Vaccination Sites in traffic flow direction, 2nd dose scheduling, and eligibility criteria confirmation.
The COVID-19 Responder/Opioid Safety Coordinator will, in addition to the above direct COVID-19 activities, work to address population health of patients including specific needs that arose or increased while primary focus has needed to be on slowing the spread of COVID-19. The COVID-19 Responder/Opioid Safety Coordinator will focus on the unmet needs related to chronic pain monitoring, including implementing health coaching for pain management, expanding the use of telephonic opioid safety agreements, and training on registry use to monitor patients taking controlled medications. The member will conduct outreach to patients with chronic pain and co-morbidities, providing coaching around nutrition, exercise, and other lifestyle medication in order to promote patient self-efficacy, as well as provide linkages to wellness programs. The member will also improve processes through work with opioid safety champions across the network to identify gaps in current practice and implement new workflows to help improve compliance to opioid safety recommendations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicating with patients newly diagnosed with Covid-19
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Collecting and recording information on patients, providing cases with information about quarantine procedures,
- Referring patients to social and support services, following established scripts to provide information to patients,
- Attending meetings with host site staff as needed
- Conducting outreach to patients with unmet needs
- Providing health coaching for patients,
- Working closely with staff and leadership,
- Identifying gaps and implementing new workflows
- Reviewing data and engaging clinics for improvements
- Participating in patient care and education
- Greeting and intaking patients in person and at testing and/or vaccination sites,
- Monitoring rates and trends on health-related issues
- Obtaining feedback to improve communications
- Recording and evaluating data to inform health education,
- Utilizing partnerships and data to coordinate referrals
- Providing information pertaining to the COVID-19 vaccine
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Build strong relationships
- Understanding of/Willingness to learn about the community
- Eager to engage
- Open to learning and growth
- Can read group dynamics
- Can manage time independently
- Can work efficiently
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact professionally
- Ability to interact empathetically with diverse individuals
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Familiarity with health-related issues
- Experience working with patient populations
- Strong analytical skills,
- Excellent customer service
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations, Knowledge of health-related issues,
- Able to serve in a fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good telephone skills,
- Knowledge of electronic health records
- Medical/clinical experience
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
- Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, recordkeeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Detailed guidelines exist, including regulations and directives, handbooks, precedents, industry standards and files of previous projects.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
- The facts or conditions of the service position are clear cut, predictable, and apply directly to the assignment.
- The Member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- Service position assignments involve a variety of conventional problems, questions, or situations that conform to established criteria.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- To Provide Customer Service
- Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts
- Language proficiency
- Health screening or service required
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Spanish, Cantonese or other language proficiency is highly desired.