NHC Position Type
Summary: The Food Security Advocate will support Mission Neighborhood Health Center (MNHC) by providing a cohesive food security program at MNHC by providing health education to patients.
The Food Security Advocate will participate in multiple initiatives and projects including, but not limited to: planning and conducting workshops and events for patients around health education for chronic disease management; developing and providing nutritional education and tips on preparing food items after patient appointments while providing grocery bags; leading a Food as Medicine workgroup along with the HIV Treatment Health Educator at MNHC; addressing barriers to accessing healthcare. This position will be working with low-income individuals and families, as well as people experiencing homelessness.
About the Organization: Mission Neighborhood Health Center (MNHC) strives to address patients' social determinants of health. One of the most requested resources is food access, especially after the pandemic began, significantly affecting our community. As a result, MNHC launched efforts to have food pantries at its sites, provide food vouchers or gift cards to patients in need, and refer patients to food pantries or organizations that provide support in the community. The population served in this position will be largely Latinx/Latine individuals experiencing food insecurity in San Francisco's Mission District.
*Spanish Proficiency at a Minimum Professional Proficiency is required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services.
- Facilitating interventions and classes about health issue prevention, management, and overall wellness.
- Creating healthcare and wellness education materials.
- Coordinating with food access programs.
- Conducting data collection (blood pressure, voucher and gift card tracking, etc.)
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable speaking with others, individually or in groups
Knowledge Required for the Position
Nature of Contacts
The population that the member primarily serves and/or interacts with are:
- Community organizations
Purpose of Contacts
The member interacts with the above contacts:
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support behavior change
- Use of a personal vehicle is not required. Sites are accessible via public transportation.
- Dress Code: Clean and professional - jeans are allowed.
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Spanish (Speaking and Reading) is required at a Minimum Professional Proficiency.
- Please visit this webpage to see what is defined as Minimum Professional Proficiency.