NHC Position Type
*2 available positions
The Quality Improvement/Diabetes Care Coordinator will play a role in coordinating care for those with diabetes and chronic disease conditions that are associated with obesity. Patients suffering from diabetes and other chronic conditions can benefit from care coordination; members will ensure that these patients are engaged in enabling services focused on social determinants of health. Members will assist in outreach to patients, engaging them in comprehensive care, including nutrition, access to and participation with a food pharmacy, retinopathy screenings, foot checks, and regular testing. Members will also participate in the recruitment and teaching of group classes on nutrition, as well as run a weekly food pharmacy for patients with chronic conditions and food insecurity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- providing outreach to stakeholders to identify issues,
- providing education to clients and refer them to providers
- maintaining an inventory of supply materials for patients, clients, and/or organizations
- providing outreach in the community to promote services
- linking clients from community organizations to services
- assessing and reporting on existing services in the target area
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Good with patient populations
- Excellent communicator
- Experience with project implementation
- Good with diverse personalities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Ability to work in deadline-oriented environment
- Interest in health, social justice, and policy issues
- Team player
- Commitment to social justice
- Works well with others
- Good listener
- Thinks creatively
- Desires to empower community
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations
- Able to build relationships with experts
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good customer service skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Passion for health topics
Knowledge Required for the Position
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
- Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
- The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
- The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
- The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
- The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
- Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
- Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
- Member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the design or operation of systems, programs, or equipment.
- The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
- to provide customer service
- Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin is highly desired, but not required.