NHC Position Type
This position has been filled for the 2023-2024 Service Term.
Position Start: August 29th, 2023.
Position End: July 16th, 2023.
Summary: The School-Based Dental Program Assistant will assist in the delivery of oral health interventions and record data for the citywide oral health surveillance of preschool and elementary school student. This data will help identify demographic/cultural/geographic groups that are underrepresented as participants.
The member will revise program materials to decrease barriers to participation. The member will also conduct formal in-class education sessions for students on nutrition, food choices/healthy eating for overall health, and dental disease prevention.
About the Organization: The San Francisco Department of Public of Health School Based Dental Program provides oral health services to over 8,000 children throughout the city with the fluoride varnish programs, State of California mandated kindergarten surveillance program, and sealants for 2nd and 5th graders.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Creating healthcare and wellness educational materials
- Facilitating and conducting healthcare and wellness trainings and classes
- Planning and preparing classes
- Providing health counseling and coaching
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfort speaking with others, individually or in groups.
- Community engagement/outreach skills.
- Members who have the ability to work independently as well as a team, patient, good with children, comfortable in a teaching setting, quick thinker and problem solver, flexible, punctual and reliable and can multi task will be successful in this service position.
Knowledge Required for the Position
- Personal vehicles are not required for this position. The clinics are accessible via public transportation.
- Dress Code: Jeans and sneakers may be worn provided they are clean and not torn or ripped. While in any clinical setting, closed toed shoes must be worn.
Language Proficiency Requirements
- Additional proficiency in another language is not required.
- Proficiency and skill with Spanish, Cantonese, and/or Mandarin would be useful to the member to communicate with a wide range of people (administrators, teachers, parents, dentists, and children).