Become a Host Site or Outside Service Partner!
NHC partners with organizations in its service communities as host sites and outside service partners. NHC members serve at host sites on a full-time schedule (36-40 hours/week) for an entire service term and fulfill an established service position that adds unique value to the host site organization.
NHC members serve with outside service partners intermittently upon request, and can help with a variety of one-time, short-term, or medium-term volunteer needs. Outside service typically takes place on the weekends, or occasionally on weekday evenings. NHC is seeking new outside service partners where members can contribute to strengthening their communities through additional volunteer hours.
Organizations interested in becoming an NHC host site or outside service partner should contact the NHC program in their area to learn more. You can also learn more about the kinds of things NHC members can do by browsing the Open Member Positions, and see which organizations are already partnering with NHC by viewing our Host Sites page. NHC is always excited to explore new opportunities for members - your ideas are encouraged!
Host Site Benefits
NHC host sites are essential program partners, and provide meaningful service opportunities to members while benefiting from the time and effort of a dedicated, talented person who can help enhance the organization’s capacity. Members can often provide supports and services that may be hard for an organization to provide otherwise, and become valuable members of the host site team and contributors to their communities. Here are just a few of the benefits of becoming a host site:
- Members have decided to dedicate nearly a year of their lives to service, and are enthusiastic, committed, and ready to make a difference at your organization.
- NHC does the member recruiting and vetting for you, including processing applications, conducting initial interviews, and running background checks. You will have the opportunity to interview and make a final decision about members who could be placed at your organization.
- NHC provides members and host sites with an initial orientation. Members receive training and professional development opportunities from NHC during their entire service term.
- NHC has a strong local presence in each of its geographic areas, and team members located in the host site community provide hands-on, direct support to both members and host sites.
- Staff at your organization will have valuable opportunities to mentor and guide members as host site supervisors. The mentorship you provide will help members become strong contributors to their field, and possibly your future employees!
- Your organization will be part of a dynamic network of organizations in your community that has demonstrated a commitment to an ethic of service and cultivating the next generation of public health leaders.
Host Site Requirements
- Host sites should be excited about guiding and supporting NHC members in doing meaningful activities that add value for the host site and its community members.
- Host sites must apply for a member to serve at their organization, and must create position descriptions for members that describe the member’s planned activities. NHC staff can help you with this!
- Host sites are required to make a financial contribution to support the member’s living stipend and operational costs of the program. NHC funding heavily supplements this contribution.
- Host sites must complete the reporting and administrative requirements of the program. These include conducting member performance reviews, approving member timesheets, and participating in site visits with NHC staff.
Outside Service Partner Benefits
- Receive volunteer support for one-time or shorter term projects, or build a longer-term relationship with the NHC program in your area to see if NHC can help with larger projects. NHC members are always looking for new opportunities to serve in their communities!
- Get to know what NHC members can do to see if becoming an NHC host site is right for your organization.
Outside Service Partner Requirements
- Provide any training necessary for NHC members to complete the service activity at your organization.
- Sign documentation verifying the NHC members' participation in the service activity.