NHC Position Type
The member will provide a variety of direct social and education services to high risk LGBT youth for homelessness and will engage in building and maintaining community partnerships to expand the offerings provided to LGBT youth within the JASMYN service center. They will do this through their support of JASMYN’s shelter location for homeless youth, opioid use screenings, one on one health counseling, health education programming, and our ACCESS Program. Member will be integral in helping youth obtain housing onsite and provide residents with any referrals that they need for services while onsite. Member will also support HIV/STI testing during clinical hours at JASMYN.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Practicing intake and referrals of patients in need
- Identifying patients who are at-risk to assess eligibility for various services
- Referring patients to other programs and community services
- Tracking patients to confirm program enrollment and engagement
- Providing follow-up and case management to deliver assistance and information
- Implementing patient engagement strategies to improve outcomes
- Maintaining professional boundaries and respecting patient confidentiality
- Coordinating health and wellness activities including classes and groups
- Documenting interactions with patients in an electronic health record
- Attending and participating in community or host site events
- Creating social media content to promote the programs
- Collaborating with supervisors and other leadership
- Screening persons admitted for referral to behavioral health services
- Providing social service navigation
- Participating in meetings and conferences
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience in healthcare field
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service. The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems. Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service. Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations. Member must use considerable judgment in adapting current or developing new guidance.
The service position assignments vary significantly or often involve unusual circumstances and incomplete or conflicting data. In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques. The Member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
Criminal history check requirements beyond those required by National Health Corps