NHC Position Type
The overall objective of this position is to establish relationships with community partners to enhance awareness of the intersection of Human Immunodefiency Virus (HIV)/Hepatitis C (Hep C) and the misuse of substances, particularly opioids, in Northeast Florida. This will be achieved via community networking, educational presentations, and coordination of HIV/Hep C testing opportunities at substance use treatment facilities (as well as social services agencies that frequently provide services to substance users). Additionally, this individual will be linking individuals to care and treatment for HIV and Hepatitis C via education and by serving as a point of contact for substance use facilities. They will also assist clients of CAN Community Health with accessing substance use treatment services by linking them back to those substance use facilities by implementing and opioid use screening tool with clients who come to CAN Community Health for HIV/AIDS care. Finally, the position will involve developing HIV/AIDS/ Hep C related substance misuse educational materials and collecting and tracking data on the services provided within this program.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging in outreach and promoting health education topics and healthcare services
- Identifying hosts and sponsors in various communities to form new partnerships
- Implementing and executing program using established protocols
- Conducting data collection, providing health counseling and coaching, keeping and organizing documentation and records, developing community relationships
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Ability to balance
- Proficient computer skills and data entry skills
- Passion for community outreach or helping others to improve their health a plus
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
Written and oral guides provide specific instructions for doing service.
The Member must develop new techniques, methods, or approaches to complete service position assignments.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To provide customer service
- Unusual physical demands involving climbing, lifting, stooping, and reaching, etc.
- Unusual service hours, involving evenings, weekends, or long shifts
- Personal vehicle required
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Background checks notifies host site of any violations in the last 7 years. Supervisor reviews all candidates and consider them for employment. With felony convictions, CAN Community Health’s 3rd party investigation firm asks us if they want to send out a rejection letter. Offenses including theft, assault/battery and anything to do with children are heavily scrutinized.