NHC Position Type
The member will be responsible for being the main source of information and services at UF Health Jacksonville Medical Center’s social services hub. Here the member will provide counseling to clients on how to access social services and benefits such as employment assistance, SNAP benefits, Medicaid, housing, prescription medication assistance, transportation, libraries, education, legal support, and financial assistance. The member will also provide education and assistance to clients utilizing the new Food Farmacy Foodbank at UF Health. The member will provide assistance to clients and basic health education on nutrition and diet by following the written guidance provided by the licensed nutritionist. The member will educate clients and families on health literacy. The member will develop and implement physical fitness programming as well as social events for isolated seniors. Member will recruit volunteers to support events and initiates.
The member will also be responsible for conducting outreach and scheduling for UF Health’s community recreational vehicle (RV) which provides health screenings to underserved areas of Northeast Florida. The member will reach out to organizations to schedule RV visits which deliver healthcare to communities without access to healthcare. Member will assess community data to locate areas of Jacksonville that would benefit from community health screenings and referrals, but do not have easy access to health care. The member will accompany nursing staff during RV visits to register patients for visits with the nurses as well as provide follow-up social service navigation. Member will recruit volunteers and AmeriCorps members to help with UF Health's COVID-19 community vaccination efforts. Volunteers will conduct patient checkins, navigation, and patient monitoring after vaccination.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening patients for health concerns and eligibility, following-up with patients to ensure documentation is completed
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork, attending meetings and patient huddles, preparing and reviewing intake checklists/consent forms
- Creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- Counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
- Finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity,
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance,
- Good communication skills,
- Takes initiative,
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment,
- Organized; sound organizational skills,
- Good customer service,
- Good telephone skills,
- Speaks language(s) spoken by patient populations,
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently. The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required.
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the Member at service.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
- The Member’s service output is necessary in order to facilitate the service of other staff.
- Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others.
- The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
- The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
- The member is required to investigate or analyze a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
Health screening or service required
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Member cannot serve in position with a criminal record.
Member must pass drug screening.